We are not a guild that wants to get hung up on lots and lots of rules and restrictions. We do have, however, some guidelines for common courtesy that we expect all members to adhere to for the enjoyment of all. After all, that's what this is all about - entertainment and escape. And when one member's action(s) are making other members' time here neither entertaining nor an escape from the stresses of day-to-day life (or even creating additional stress) then that is not a welcome contribution to this community. In that mindset, here are a few simple rules that we expect everyone follow from senior officers all the way down to brand new recruits.
1) Real life is always more important than the game. No one will ever be looked down on for not spending every spare moment participating with the activities here on the site. Be aware that absences of extended periods without any kind of notice may get your character(s) dropped from various plot lines as it's not fair to other players to have to have the story placed on pause indefinitely. In this light, as a common courtesy, we'd appreciate an OOC note if you feel like you're going to need to step out for an extended period.
2) Respect ALL of your fellow guild mates, regardless of your *IC* relationships. Please distinguish the difference between *IC* conflict (which is often a legitimate and healthy part of character development and history building) and real-life *OOC* relationships. It's not realistic that everyone likes everyone *ooc* - the world just doesn't work that way. We do expect everyone to at least remain civil and respectful, however.
3) Integrity and maturity is expected. No one is here to baby-sit anyone else. We will not tolerate childish tantrums or other such behavior. Instead we will provide you with adequate warning and if not heeded, remove you from the guild.
4) Must be 18+. In respect to rule #3, this is a mature RPing guild that will, from time to time be involved in RP that contains more mature/adult themes. Because of this, we are looking for members who are at least 18 or older. This also helps put our own membership at greater ease that they are not RPing mature situations with a minor. Because this is the Internet and we have no way of ultimately confirming you are the age you are, we use the honor system, trusting our members and/or applicants to be truthful concerning their age when applying. Should we find out in some fashion later that this information was falsified and a member does not meet the minimum age requirements, it can be grounds for immediate ejection from the guild.
5) Be helpful, not arrogant. It's great to meet players with a lot of Star Wars and KotOR knowledge, but it's annoying to be made to feel inferior because of it. Offer helpful suggestions, but do not lord over others or belittle them in any way if they happen to know less than you on a subject.
6) Give notice of your absences. Real life tosses us a curve every now and then, we understand (See Rule #1). Please let us know when you'll be away for extended periods of time so we can adjust any story line you are in accordingly.
7) Harassment is not acceptable. Derogatory comments referring to race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. will not be tolerated in neither Forum posts nor public chat. If you are playing a character who makes such comments *IC*, that is one thing. The consequences of that character choice will play out *IC*. However if it is suspected that the *IC* interaction is simply a cover-up for *OOC* opinions, or if it grows to the point that it is upsetting players' ability to enjoy themselves (see Rules #2 and #3) - even *IC* harassment may not be exempt to this rule.
8) Respect the decisions of your leaders. The officers and leader of The Mantell Syndicate make decisions together in the best interests of the guild as a whole. If you have a serious doubt about a decision, please bring it to an officer for explanation without causing drama in the forums or chat rooms.
((Syndicate IC Rules can be found here.)